Four days have passed in Dharamsala. The stay was quite pleasant as the dorm room is at the roof of the guest-house overlooking the whole Tibetan village. I met a Japanese guy and asked him which city of Japan he is from. He then said he now lives in Canada and insisted that I would have never heard of the place. But he didn't realize I am also from Canada. And he was astonished that I told him I know where Nunavut is and it is the new territory of Canada. He is definitely the first person that I know of from Nunavut and he is a Japanese too! I was curious to know why he moved there and asked him a lot of question. He seemed relucent to tell much only said he has "some troubles" in Japan and need to leave the country.
My imagination of this village was a lot bigger than in reality. It takes only 20 minutes to walk all over the village. Seeing ton of tourists hanging around with Indian and Tibetan people is quite an interesting sight. "Free Tibet", "Save Tibet" stickers and banners are everywhere. These are popular items among tourists. I had a conversation with an American girl, carrying a "Free Tibet" backpack, doesn't even know the name of the Tibet capital city. It seems as if "Free Tibet" has become a hippie statement among tourists.
On the other hand the Tibetan people here have a very strong feeling about their home country. The portrait of Dalai Lama can be seen in every houses and stores, along with the photo of Grandi. The poster of Potala Palace is popular too.
I watched the Tibetan opera. And more interestingly I watched a concert, by "Exile Brothers". It is fascinating to watch the group playing heavy-metal music and singing in Tibetan. Once in a while "Free Tibet" was yelled. "Are you ready to rock 'n rock?" Yeah! funny half of the audience were monks, as if they were going to dance with the music.
Six months have passed since I took absence from work and now I am finishing up the journey. I bought a bus ticket and packed everything. I think to finish my trip in Dharamsala is special as my whole intention of the trip was "go to Tibet". I was in Tibet and now I am in Tibet in exile. I am now much less motivated to visit the rest of India and time is running out. I will fly back to Hong Kong in next few days.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home