Travel with Winter in Asia

March 16, 2004

For some reason I feel very adapted to the road traffic in Kathmandu, especially when riding the motorbike running around city, sneaking across the smallest gap between cars and cutting people off -- I would definitely get many middle fingers if I do these in Canada...

The Thamel area in Kathmandu, small and tourisy, I bumped into many people that I met in Tibet. Like the Beijing sisters that we watched the sky burial few weeks back.

Went to a Tibetan refugee village, the biggest in Kathmandu. They are doing a massive praying in the monastery for world peace. It is amazing to see hundreds of Tibetan spinning their hand prayer wheels at the same time. This is my first Tibetan encounter outside Tibet. I notice although they have the same Tibetan dress than those in Tibet, it seems more fashionable and stylish in Nepal here. Perhaps here is more civilized and wealthier.

I had the same lunch with them, and it's free even for visitor like me (which I only saw a Swedish woman for the whole event). I am a little notorious about the hygiene, especially something from Tibetan (which they are the dirtiest by my western standard). And it has just proven to be true. I was basically quite sick and dizzily for the rest of the day.

Eating Tibetan food in Tibet is alright because of the high altitude and cold weather which made bacteria difficult to grow. But in the polluted city of Nepal, it is not a wise idea. Lesson learned.

Will stay in here for few more days as the India VISA takes days to process...









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home