Travel with Winter in Asia

November 05, 2003

More photos are uploaded in the previous blog.

I can't believe I am moving to another hostel in Beijing again! For no real reason I am moving out from JingHua Hostel to FarEast Hostel with Mark, an America guy I met in JingHua two nights ago and sleeping right beside me. Well there are some little things we don't like JingHua and there is nobody there, I want to meet more people and also JingHua is a bit far for Tiananmen Square. So we decided to move up to FarEast which is just about 10mins walks from the Square.

Mark and I went to Great Wall yesterday, the Simatai section, which is further and less popular than BaiDaLing. We spent almost 4 hours to get there by taking five different buses, mini bus and finally hiring a cab. The result is that we saved at least 120 yuan (Chinese dollar) and beat the hostel shuttle bus for getting there 30 minutes earlier than the party. ;-)

Traveling with Mark is a really different experience. People constantly surrounding around him to offer taxi rides and hotel rooms.. At the beginning I was nice enough to tell the people that we are not interested, but at the end of the day I simply left him walking behind me and let the people surrounding him. Anyhow it seems like he had a good trip to Great Wall.

Today I went to TianJin, a major industrial city east of Beijing, featuring one of the biggest container harbor in China. I have heard of this city when I was really young as a lot of goods are manufactured in there. The city is very uninspiring and basically covered in a branket of dusts. I spent few hours hanging around in small streets and ally and decided to take the last train back to Beijing.


The west section of Simatai



This is taken from the 12th tower of Simatai, the first one is situated right next to the river in the valley



Viewing east from the 8th tower



This is the best shot I can get with the tiny little tripod



The day is finished off by a cheap dinner in one of the small restaurant in Beijing.




Getting ready to leave JingHua hostel


90 minutes express train ride gets you to the TianJin Train Station


"TianJin No.1 Hospital". Note the european style building, TienJie was once "lended"to French to for trading during early 1900




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home