Travel with Winter in Asia

October 19, 2003

It is a little crazy to sport climbing the day after I arrived in Hong Kong in mid night. With jet lag and little sleep, I met up with my friend Candice, she just started climbing indoor and yesterday was their outdoor lesson. I decided to tag along and check out the famous sport crag Technical Wall in Tung Lung Island. To my surprise Winsor was able to make it so now I have a perfect belay slave :)

Tung Lung Island is about 30 minutes mini-ferry ride from the east end of Hong Kong Island, it is a small but beautiful island that you can walk along the coast line for less than 2 hours. The wall although a little small, pack with a lot of awesome sport routes. The granite here is definitely different from Squamish, has a lot of features and amazing pockets. A short easy route get me used to the warm rock and the strong water wave hitting the rock creates a very energetic climbing music.


Climbers getting ready of their first climb

There was about 60 people sharing 30 routes, I was told it is indeed less crowded than summer weekends. It is interesting that they share the ropes and quick draws with everything else. The draws hang on the rock for the day so anyone can use it. They also expect you to share the top rope once you have led up the route. Occasionally strong wave hit the platform with sea water flushing into it, wetting the ropes and climbing shoe. People said it is common in Fall when wind is strong.

With no prior warning, I put my sandals on the high risk flushing area and the first wave took away of my shoes!! I didn't notice my sandals was gone for the first 15 minutes until I saw it floating on the sea and surely it looks like mine!! Now I have no shoe to go home! I can't believe I lost it the first day of outing. Damn!

Forgot about this incident, Winsor and I climbed couple of interesting line. Candice's instructor Sami suggested me to try the "Big Roof" as it looks very juggie and overhanging. It is F6c+ and surprisingly I managed to on-slight it. It seems to be easier than 5.11d but this kind of endurance overhanging climb surely is what I used to in my home gym. Winsor also led a route with confident. Later the day I unlocked two other F6c+ routes, also are overhanging jugs haul. I felt really comfortable with the climbs and took few clean falls when frighting the cruxes. It was good.


Sunset and the fishing hatch

We met whole bunch of people there and went for dinner together to finish off the day. Once they know I came from Vancouver, they keep telling me about how expensive the Arcterx stuffs in Hong Kong and their eyes dropped that we have the factory outlet with half price of what they are paying on backpacks and jackets. They are some of the top climbers in Hong Kong and have been to Yosemite and few other places. They are one the nicest group of people I have ever met and I was offered another sandals to go home...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home